The Barry Community Foundation bridges the dreams and desires of donors with the needs of the community. A community foundation differs from a private foundation, as the assets are not the gift of a single family, individual or corporation. A pool of funds, contributed by a number of donors, for a wide range of charitable purposes, creates the assets.
Because of this, the community foundation is the perfect vehicle for all kinds of donors – individuals, families, corporations, private foundations, and nonprofit organizations. The Barry Community Foundation has the ability to establish funds that meet many different charitable objectives. The beauty of humanity is that no two persons are the same, similarly no two funds in our foundation are the same. Each fund bears its own name, making it the perfect memorial or honorarium opportunity. Chosen by the donor, the fund may be established in the name of a loved one, a corporation, a family. Funds may even be established anonymously.
Benefits of Supporting the Barry Community Foundation
- An annual report is published each year, allowing for Public Accountability. The annual audit, IRS 990 (Tax Return) and a list of awarded grants are available in our office at any time, to anyone.
- Barry Community Foundation is local, created to benefit your community. It is governed by a group of private citizens who have the same commitment that you do, building a better tomorrow for Barry County.
- Most funds can be created in one meeting. Our goals are simplicity, accessibility and convenience.
- BCF understands that each donor has specific desires, financial considerations and charitable wishes. We know that the right charitable vehicle can make the difference in your ability to accomplish your dreams. We make every effort to be flexible with the types of funds and types of assets you can use to create your fund.
- Our logo states “Caring Forever.” We are proud of the permanence your community foundation allows for each fund, helping you to create a personal legacy.
- The BCF finance committee reviews and monitors fund management to ensure the continued growth and safety of your investment in our community. The primary goal is to maximize the return, while preserving purchase power over time. We are proud of our prudent investments, professional expertise and ethical standards.
- We offer maximum tax advantages under both the Michigan and Federal Tax Laws.
- As soon as a fund is established, our staff handles all administrative tasks, including proposal review, check writing, reporting requirements, tax returns and annual audits. We also monitor all grants to make sure that they were used as specified.
As you can see, whatever your interests are, we make it convenient, effective and easy for you to create a fund. All grants are made in the name of the fund (unless anonymity has been requested) making this the perfect way to honor or remember a loved one. Please call Bonnie Ballinger Hildreth at BCF to discuss the best option for you.